Over 3 million insurance quotes
Compare Quotes from 30+ Car Insurance Providers and Save
Compare Quotes from 30+ Car Insurance Providers and Save

Checking Your Driving Record in Ontario

August 24, 2012

If you are looking for a job that requires a lot of driving, or just want to check your driving record report to make sure everything is in order, you will need to order a driver abstract. There are a few different types of reports available:

  • Statement of Driving Record (3 year history) – provides information on accidents, tickets, suspensions, demerit points and suspensions.
  • Driver License History – includes G1, G2 and G dates (if appropriate), previous addresses, replacements and renewals.
  • Statement of Driving Record (5 year history) – contains Criminal Code of Canada convictions, suspensions and reinstatement’s for the past 5 years, Highway Traffic Act convictions and suspensions for the past 3 years, and demerit point information for the past 3 years.
  • Extended Driver Record – contains Highway Traffic Act convictions and suspensions for the past 3 years and all Criminal Code of Canada convictions, suspensions and reinstatements.
  • Restricted Driver Record – contains all information about the history of the driver including all address changes, status change dates (G1, G2, G) and Highway Traffic Act or Criminal Code of Canada violations.

You can order all of the reports above, except for the Restricted Driver Record, online at the Service Ontario Website or at any Service Ontario Kiosk. As well, you can mail your request for all reports to Ministry of Transportation, Licensing Administration and Support Office, Special Enquiry Unit, Building A, Room 178, 2680 Keele Street, Downsview, ON M3M 3E6.
For further details, how to order, and pricing information, call the Ministry of Transportation at 1-800-387-3445.

Knowing where you stand with your driving record will help you track tickets that may be coming off your record, and how many points you have accumulated to date. This information will come in handy when you are shopping around for car insurance quotes.

  • mariam durani


  • Nick – InsuranceHotline.com

    Hello Mariam,

    Please visit http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/ for information about G licencing.

    Thank you.

  • Martin J. Van Happen

    Hi, I am looking for information about my old driver’s license. I was recently stopped and they told me, my license was under suspension. I have not lived in Ontario since 1979 and they said the suspension happened in 1985 – is there a way in finding out what the suspension was for and why it is coming up now 27 years later. I still do not own an Ontario license. Thank you.

  • Nick – InsuranceHotline.com

    Hi Martin,

    You should check with the Ministry of Transportation. Please visit: http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/drivers-licence-topics

  • Dale Carr

    I live in Alberta for the last 7 years and in order to get cheaper insurance i need to get my Ontario drivirrs record. How do I go about that?

  • Nick – InsuranceHotline.com

    Hello Dale,

    You may obtain your driver abstract online: https://www.services.gov.on.ca/locations/serviceDetails.do?id=11389&locale=EN.

    Hope this helps.

  • Dee Emm

    I didn’t receive mail indicating I had an unpaid fine which resulted in my License being suspended. This created a “Major offense” on my record and because of that there are companies who will not quote me on this. (I also have 2 minor offenses, non moving)
    my record has been very good over the years and some bad luck has booted me out of my current issuer. I don’t this is a fair position on the Insurance Co’s part and wonder if there is a way that I can exercise a Dispute or Resolution on the Major conviction?

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com

    Dear Emm,

    You can dispute judgments to your insurance through your insurance ombudsman. You can get this contact info from your broker/agent or you can call them directly from their site here http://www.giocanada.org/

    I hope this helps.

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    It is likely that you will need to go to the high risk insurance companies. Check Easyway Insurance or Facility Association


  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You will have to go to the MTO to get you traffic ticket record and to CGI for the record of your claims.

    If you want, you can also speak with an insurance broker who can pull all of the necessary reports.

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    Good question. I am not sure how the privacy acts works for that. YOu are best to check with the MTO.

  • Francois

    Just moved to BC from Manitoba, require 8 year driving history, (we had moved to Ontario for 2 years) and Now I need my 2 year history as well for Ontario, but I don’t know what my dl number in Ontario was, and without it, it seems almost impossible to get the records. Any thoughts?

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    If you remember your Ontario insurance company or your broker, they might be able to get a letter for you.

  • Kay

    how often does an insurance broker or insurance company receive a new drivers abstract? and can they change your rates before your renewal?

  • John None

    how long before the tickets are no longer rateable? does it vary by insurance company? is it from the offence date? or conviction date?

  • Brent

    Your rate is guaranteed for 12 months once you agree to it, and begin the term with payment of the first month’s premium. Insurer’s always purchase an abstract for new customers, so you can rest assured they will pull yours at first to verify the information you provide. After that, they pull abstracts randomly (avg. every 3 years), but only at the end of a particular 12 month period. They pay a fee to pull abstracts so they typically won’t pull yours too often unless they feel you’re likely to have accumulated infractions they can use to justify increasing your rate. As such, some drivers may go 5 or more years without having their abstract checked, while others might have theirs pulled regularly.

  • Tyler Ryan

    What would be the best vehicle to insure as a high risk driver?

  • Dinky

    An old Toyota Corolla

  • Dinky

    Depends on the ticket you got. A speeding ticket usually lasts 3 years. Running a red light or any other serious tickets last about 5 years. Accidents stay on your record for 10 years. Some insurance companies look at accidents within the past 6 years.

  • InsuranceHotline

    If your licence has been in force for the last 10 years, it may not affect your premium.

  • InsuranceHotline

    you can ask the MTO to look up your G1 licence number since each Ontario licence number is created from your name and birthday.

  • InsuranceHotline

    You can check with the MTO. In Ontario, you have 6 days to update your address on your licence. So if you have done that then the ticket will be delivered to your new home. If you have not changed your address, the ticket could affect your ability to renew your licence sticker if it goes unpaid.

  • High North

    Need to prove driving experience 45 years ago in Ontario as now applying for BC drivers licence and previous driving experience proof needed. How long does Ontario keep driving records for? Likely out of luck but checking anyway. And how to apply for the information? Thanks

  • InsuranceHotline

    Hello You can order an “autoplus” report through CGI. These reports provide you with any claims history you might have. Here is a link to their site: https://iis.cgi.com/RapidWeb/en/support/consumer-reports.aspx