Over 3 million insurance quotes
Compare Quotes from 30+ Car Insurance Providers and Save
Compare Quotes from 30+ Car Insurance Providers and Save

G1 Drivers and Graduated Licensing in Other Provinces

May 14, 2013

G1 License Driving SchoolEvery province has its own licensing system, and the graduated licensing levels may differ from province to province. While a fully licensed driver with at least two years experience can simply switch their license over to the new province when they move, the rules are a little different for new drivers. If you hold a G1 license, the rules for moving forward with licensing will vary by province.

G1 License Equivalents Across Canada

A G1 license is what is generally referred to as a learner’s permit. It allows a new driver to get in a lot of practice behind the wheel before moving on to a full license. Every province has their version of the learner’s permit. Some have only two stages to the graduate program, while others have multiple stages.

In British Columbia the equivalent is the Class 7 license, which has two stages, and it is also referred to as a Class 7 in Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories. Manitoba uses Class 5L for the learner’s with two stages before the full license, and in Quebec it is also a Class 5, as well as Newfoundland and Labrador.

Each of these is the first step in a graduated licensing program. Some provinces have additional probationary periods in between the initial learner’s permit and getting a full license. The restrictions on drivers with a learner’s permit are similar across the nation, with the main restriction being the requirement that a fully licensed and experienced driver be in the passenger seat at all times.

Moving to Another Province

If you’ve passed the G1 test but are moving to a new province before you take the G2 test, you will have to visit the driver licensing office in your new province to find out about the licensing process there.

As a general rule, fully licensed drivers who have at least 2 years experience will be able to easily transfer their license over to the new province. Those with a learner’s permit, however, will find that they can’t simply move to a new province and take the test for the full license.

A learner’s permit does not transfer over to a new province, so when you move you will have to reapply and take the test to get the equivalent license for your new home. You will then have to complete all of the requirements of that province to move on to the next stage of the graduated licensing program.

Speeding Up the Process

It can be frustrating to those who have already held a learner’s permit to have to start over with the waiting period before taking the test for the next stage. Fortunately, many provinces offer a method by which the process can move a little more swiftly.

Depending on your province, you may be able to shorten the period of time before you take the next driving test by going to an accredited driver education school. Many provinces allow graduates of these programs to apply for the next stage of the graduated program sooner than those who do not attend such a school.

Even if you are able to move on sooner, you will still have to meet all of the requirements for taking the test, including age requirements – and of course, you will have to pass the test as well.

Learner’s Permits and Your Record

Remember that your driving record, even on a learner’s permit, will follow you when you move to another province. Traffic violations can have an impact on how long it takes you to move on to a full license. When you successfully attain the full license status, demerit points that resulted from a ticket may affect your insurance quotes.

Violation of the restrictions on a learner’s permit can result in a suspension and cause the process to take even longer, so it’s important to follow all of the rules that come with the privilege of learning to drive.

In order to make the graduated licensing program go smoothly for you and get that full license as soon as possible, it’s important to drive carefully and to keep a clean driving record.

While a license of any kind is recognized across Canada, once you move each province has a time limit on how long you have to visit the driver licensing office to transfer or get a new learner’s permit. Be sure to take care of your license right away so you don’t find yourself driving illegally.

  • Tyler

    if i have my g2 from Ontario and im just visiting Alberta can i still get a rental car and be able to drive with no problem in Alberta?

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    Please speak directly with the MTO regarding this http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/about/contact-us.shtml

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to double check that with the Alberta Ministry of Transportation.

    Thank you

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to discuss that with the Alberta Ministry of Transportation. I’m not sure what the rule for that would be.


  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to check with the Ministry of Transportation. their website is http://www.mto.gov.on.ca

    Thank you

  • Allen

    My daughter is 14 and she got her learners permit I’m Alberta and we are moving to Toronto can she still use it there

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to double check with the Ministry of Transportation Ontario.

    Here is their website. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca


  • Anonymous

    did they ask for Alberta residency evidence when she applied? Just wondering what my son should bring with him to the registry

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to check within the jurisdiction the you will be driving in.


  • Cheryl

    I have a sk learners licence and I go to Ontario to visit family on holidays and I was wondering since I’m 15 and the age to be driving in Ontario is 16 am I still allowed to drive in Ontario because I have my licence

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    I don’t believe that you are permitted to drive in Ontario but you should double check with the Ministry of Transportation at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca


  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to double check with the province of Manitoba.


  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to double check with the Vancouver Ministry of Transportation to be sure.

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to check with the Alberta ministry of transportation to get their exact rule on that.

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    You are best to double check with the Alberta Ministry of Transportation. It might depend on how long you had your learner’s permit.

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com


    Not all situations are the same and sometimes not all of the details are provided. We answer what we can and don’t want to give inaccurate information which is why we suggest that you check on your own.

  • Andrei

    What is the equivalent of a G2 license from Ontario in Calgary Alberta ?

  • Anonymous

    My girlfriend has a B.C. “N” license and has had it for almost 3 years more than the required 2 year time. However, we moved to Alberta 1 year and 8 months ago and she hasn’t switched it over because she has no idea what the registry may do, she’s very anxious about the whole thing and she doesn’t want to be start over the whole process again. She drives my car to her full time job and part time job daily, she’s a very safe cautious experienced driver. Would she be able to just switch her “N” to a full class 5 alberta license considering how long she’s been driving with an N !?! Sounds like she will have to take the class 5 test in BC. Im confused.

  • Anonymous

    I am highly concerned that if she goes to a registry, that they might not give her a class 5 or might even try to take her license away. She needs her license to drive to her work daily and can’t get there by public transportation. This would ruin her life. She would lose both her jobs if they tried to take it. It would also be highly unfair if she gets stuck on GDL again for another 2 years after she’s already been on her N for 3 years…

  • Anonymous

    Also worried that they might throw a huge fit and try to punish her if they figure out that she’s way past the 90 day period by checking her employment and income taxes. Do not see why it’s such a big deal though and she honestly didn’t have a clue about that until now…. Sticky situation. Any information would be helpful.

  • Shads

    is their any way to get your L if your 14?

  • leigh1986

    My boyfriend lost his license fromantic a care and control in Nova Scotia. His year is almost up and we have moved to Saskatchewan. What does he have to do exactly to get them back?

  • Amrit

    I came from India i have b.c class 5 liecenece 8 month old. If I passed g1 liecenece in Ontario .can I change g1liecence to class 1 in British columbia

  • Heezy Rizzle

    Hello, my daughter is 14 and has her class 7 in Alberta, if she goes and visits relatives in ontario for the summer will she be allowed to take driving lessons over there? or will she even be allowed to drive with someone that has a full license?

  • Rick Enns

    I have a Manitoba drivers license but dont have a motorcycle license there and I’m working in B.C. for a couple of months…. i would like to get a motorcycle learners here in B.C.

  • Sammie

    If I get my G2 in Ontario and then move to Newfoundland before getting my G, will I have to do everything all over again after I get there?

  • Leah

    Yes. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and you can get your learners permit at 14. I’m 13, almost 14 and I’m studying the handbook !

  • Ami

    If I have a G1 in Ontario, and I go to BC, can I get drivers ed there and then immediately /shortly after take a G2 road test? (I have had my G1 for over a year and over the amount of time needed to have it in BC too- had it for 3 or so years).

  • Alex Ohara

    i have a BC class 7n license and plan to work in Saskatchewan. am i able to still drive around normally without any problems? or do i need to get a new license when i get to ask?

  • anna

    so i did all my course in canada and i had the paper that said i finish evryth9ing and i passed the teste whit the school.. and i moved in calgary and i had my driver license GLD LEARNER.. know i am back to canada for study and i was wondering what i was suppose to doo ???

    thank u

  • michelle

    I have an Ontario license and just wondering if it is possible to insure a new Brunswick car with my Ontario license?

  • Alisha Elizabeth Tucker-Arango

    So i currently live in Ontario, i want to get my G1, however i am going to New Brunswick in about 10 days for university. So if i get my G1 here in Ontario, then go to New Brunswick, would i be allowed to take a drivers ed course there, then when i come back to Ontario in the summer get my G2??

  • Sarah Viveiros

    I’m moving to Ontario from Alberta in a couple of years. I understand the driving rules of Ontario but I have my learners (Class 7) in Alberta, Im 14. Would I be able to transfer that to a learners in Ontario if I’m younger than 16 at the time still?

  • Karen Cook

    I’m in Sask with Family but have residence in BC accompanied by BC dl Can I insure a car in two provinces if I have two residence s ? Help

  • http://www.insurancehotline.com/ InsuranceHotline.com

    probably but best to double check as they may require your “primary’ residence to be listed.

  • Karen Cook

    Thanks Seems that will be very easy to change over and still have my safe driving yay Thanks you are right it has to be one or the other ;) (y)

  • Dusty

    I have a class 5 gdl licence from alberta. Currently in new zealand and have a full drivers here. Can my new zealand licence become a saskachwan class 5 without the gdl? Or will I have to stay a gdl because of my alberta licence? Does my new zealand licence count if I get it transfered?

  • Aamir Abbas

    I have a Class 7 Alberta Licence and I have been waived from the GDL waiting period of 12 months. Can I give the road test for G1 in Ontario?

  • CC

    No such thing as Vancouver Ministry of Transportation… This forum is ridiculous, every post is answered with “check with the province of ___”

  • Isabella

    I have a Saskatchewan learners and im 15 turning 16 before my test (aug20) can i take my drivers test in montreal? Their driving age i believe is the same and ill be there amonth before to practice on their roads

  • Jeremy Marrisett

    If my licence is suspended in ontario can i get a licence in b.c?

  • InsuranceHotline

    There are reciprocal agreements in place within the provinces. The ministry’s all share information on traffic ticket, licence suspensions etc.
    Its likely when you go to get a BC licence your ontario information may be shared and BC will be made aware that your Ontario licence is suspended

  • Juan Cadavid

    my driver’s license had been suspended for over 10 years(2002) for unpaid fines its gone to collections and I never paid(I couldn’t find the collection agency and I didn’t need driver’s license) now I am in BC and I need a drivers license can I apply for one here.

  • InsuranceHotline

    You can but since most provinces has reciprocal agreements, you may have your suspension follow you.

  • Pete Wiebs

    I have my ontario g1 and i just moved to alberta what happpens when i chang them over please help me

  • Donald

    U know what I had the same thing and after 10 years they gave me my license back so if I was you I would check it out!!

  • Donald

    If I have a G1 in Ontario and move to Winnipeg what class of license will I have there!!
    And my second question is that I had my drivers license over 12 years ago and just recently got it back 5 months ago but someone told me that because I had it before to check because they said that I might not have to wait the full year

  • InsuranceHotline

    you will likely still be considered to be a learner driver in Alberta. It is possible that they will take your Ontario experience into consideration for your Alberta learners permit.

  • InsuranceHotline

    The Alberta ministry may take you Ontario experience into consideration for the length of time you have to have a learners permit in Alberta

  • Christina

    Ok so if I’ve had my learners sadly yes for 15 years does this mean I can’t transfer it over to BC

  • Christina

    Ok so if I’ve had my learners sadly yes for 15 years in Saskatchewan does this mean I can’t transfer it over to BC

  • T

    I have a class 5 license that I obtained in BC (7 years) then moved to NB a few years ago.
    I am in the process of trying to move back to BC and will have to take a Class 4 drivers test (both written and Driving).
    Will I be able to take the written test without changing my drivers licence?

  • Leslie

    We are travelling through ont, QC, and the Maritime provinces. Can someone with a Manitoba Learner’s permit drive in these provinces on our vacation?

  • Denise Murphy

    You legally must be at least 16 years old to drive in Ontario. Your Class 7 will not be valid. When you turn 16 you will have to write the test for a learners permit in Ontario.

  • dee

    To legally drive in Ontario you must at least 16 years of age. Your daughters class 7 from Alberta will not be recognized as she is only 14 and under the permitted age to drive.

  • dee

    No you will not be legally permitted to drive in Ontario with your learners permit until you are 16. Ontario does not recognize out of province learners permits unless you are 16 years of age.

  • Shane Goldie

    I have had my learners for over a year now, from Alberta and I’m 15. I might be moving to Saskatchewan for a year but coming back to Alberta in a year do I have to change my learners and re-do the test?

  • Nevisqet

    I have a full class 7 license from New Brunswick (not the permit) and just moved to BC. Does this mean I need to start all over again?! I already passed two driver’s tests to get this…

  • InsuranceHotline

    As I understand it, you can exchange your full licence from New Brunswick for a full BC licence.

  • Ahmed

    hello, i have class 7 Alberta license and i have moved in Ontario can i switch G1 license

  • Luke

    Can I get my Tractor licence in PEI if I live in Alberta and I am 15 years old.

  • Amanda

    I’m 19 and I’ve had my Saskatchewan learners for just about 2 years and I’m planning to move to Alberta. Do you know what exactly I will need to do in order to get my alberta learners so I can take the test in Alberta within a shorter amount of time?

  • Tia

    I have my g1 from Ontario and am going on vacation to Nova Scotia. Can I still drive with a fully licensed adult ?

  • Taylor

    If I have my Alberta learners can I switch my learners over for an Ontario one?

  • InsuranceHotline

    You are best to check with the MTO http://www.mto.gov.on.ca

  • Mara

    I have a BC class 7L license, which level of class G in ON is that equivalent to?

  • Brandon Barratt

    I’ve had my BC class 7 ‘N’ drivers licence for 3 years with no tickets or violations. I’m a full time student at University of Manitoba in Fourth year. I bought a car in BC while home for the summer and plan to drive to Manitoba. What do I need to do to get a manitoba driver’s license?

  • InsuranceHotline

    I understand that’s the equivalent of a G1 meaning you can’t drive without a fully licenced driver in the passenger seat.

  • Umar Shaukat

    Hi I have BC class 5. Can I exchange it with Class G Ontario?

  • InsuranceHotline

    here is a link that explains how you can exchange your licence https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

  • Tong Wang

    If I obtained a learner’s license in Vancouver, will I be able to drive when I move to Quebec?

  • InsuranceHotline

    you are best to check with the province of Quebec for that.

  • Trey Johnson

    Hello, I am 14 and I live in saskatchewan. I go to visit my dad in Ontario every year, I am wondering if I can drive in Ontario with my Saskatchewan L?

  • InsuranceHotline

    You must be 16 in order to drive in the province of Ontario

  • Hill

    I am 14 and have my Alberta learners permit, we are visiting family’s in Manitoba and I was wondering if I could drive there.

  • Hill

    I have an Alberta learners permit and I am going to visit family in Manitoba, I was wondering if I would be able to drive in Manitoba.

  • InsuranceHotline

    you are best to double check with the Ministry of Transportation in Manitoba to be sure.

  • Lina Nguyen

    Hi, Im now living in Montreal but I’m planning to go back to Toronto and get my G1, is that ok for me today it?

  • InsuranceHotline

    you are best to check with the ministry of transportation in Quebec to see if they will recognize your G1 Ontario licence.

  • Lucy

    If I take drivers training in Ontario does that transfer to British Columbia?

  • Harpreet Singh

    I moved from ontario to alberta and I had 7months experience on mt g1 and then I surrendered my g1 license to get class 7 so now I have to keep the license for more 5 months and then I can give class 5 gdl right cause my g1 7months experience should be counted or I have to wait for another year after getting class 7 as well?

  • Joey

    I have my g2 in ontario. would that transfer to a non restricted license in New Brunswick?

  • InsuranceHotline

    you are best to ask the Ministry in New Brunswick to be sure!