COVID-19 Update: We’re Here for You. These are uncertain times but one thing that is certain is our commitment to you. As an online business, we’re set up to help you remotely so you can still take care of your insurance decisions.

Quote Unquote - August 18, 2010

By InsuranceHotline.com Team
Question mark on a blue background

Q) My son is going away to university and will only be driving the car when home for holidays. Should I remove him as an occasional driver from my insurance policy?

A) A simpler solution to this problem would be to check with your insurance professional to see if you can receive a discount on the portion of the premium that applies towards your son. Some insurance companies may offer as much as a 50% discount for a student away from home while attending school. This may be a more practical solution for you than to add him to the policy every time he comes home and then remove him when he returns to school.

Have a question you'd like answered? Please send us an email at quoteunquote@insurancehotline.com.

Check back every month for new Quote Unquote questions and answers about insurance from readers just like you.