Quote Unquote - August 2011

Question mark on a blue background

Q) Will my auto insurance cover me if I’m in an accident with my vehicle in the United States?

A) Yes you will be covered.  If you have a car insurance policy from any province in Canada, you will be covered when driving your own vehicle in the United States.

It might be a good idea to call your insurance professional before crossing the border, to find out how your insurer deals with accidents and settling claims in case you are in an accident in the U.S.   Keep in mind that although you are covered in the U.S it may not necessarily be the case in Mexico or other countries. Please consult your insurance professional to be certain of your coverage before travelling.

Have a question you'd like answered? Please send us an email at [email protected].

Check back every month for new Quote Unquote questions and answers about insurance from readers just like you.