Quote Unquote - June 25, 2009

Question mark on a blue background

Q) My child is home from university for the summer. Do I have to add his or her name to my car insurance policy?A) Yes, you do. In fact, your son or daughter should have been added to your policy as soon as he or she obtained their driver's licence. The Ontario Application for Automobile Insurance Owner's Form (OAF1) asks for the driving information of all licenced drivers in the policy owner's household. Even though your child is away at university, he or she is still considered a member of your household, as his or her permanent residence is your home. Check with your insurance professional for more information. Most insurance companies offer a discount for children who are away at university and listed on your policy. Have a question you'd like answered? Please send us an email at [email protected].Check back every month for new Quote Unquote questions and answers about insurance from readers just like you.