Quote Unquote - November 17, 2009

Top view of tablet pc, magnifying glass, pen, notebook, glasses and a cup of coffee with Q&A written on wooden table

Q) My child is attending university in another province and has taken one of my cars with her. Will she be covered in the event of an accident?

A) First off, if you haven't already, you should advise your insurance professional of this happening. The auto application typically asks where the vehicle is garaged and you are obligated to let your insurance company know about this type of change. Your daughter will likely be charged a principal operator rate on the vehicle, as she is the full-time driver.

By doing so, your daughter will be covered in the event of an accident, as long as the vehicle is insured, registered and plated in your province. If she is not planning on returning to your province, then she should have the vehicle registered, plated and insured in her residing province.

Have a question you'd like answered? Please send us an email at [email protected].

Check back every month for new Quote Unquote questions and answers about insurance from readers just like you.