Western Canada has seen a significant increase in vehicle theft this past year, most particularly in Alberta. While the number of stolen vehicles has gone up by six per cent nationwide, Alberta has seen an increase in stolen vehicles by 32 per cent.
- Have you seen an increase in your auto insurance premiums? Compare auto insurance quotes today for a better price.
It’s not just any vehicle that thieves are after either; thieves in the western provinces are enticed by Canada’s best-selling truck, the Ford F-Series. The popular truck dominates the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s (IBC) list of most frequently stolen vehicles in Western and Pacific Canada, and if you drive one of these vehicles you may find your Alberta auto insurance is higher than if you drove a different vehicle:
- 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2007 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2007 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
- 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
“For the second consecutive year, auto theft across Canada has ticked higher,” said Bill Adams, Vice-President, Western and Pacific, IBC. “Unfortunately, many of the vehicles stolen in this region will never be recovered. We also see from this list that criminals continue to favour large, older, high-end Ford F-series vehicles.”
Tips to deter auto theft
It doesn’t take much time or many resources for someone to steal your car. The IBC estimates that, even without the keys, a thief can take off with your car in less than a minute. So while Ford trucks may be some of the most stolen, your vehicle can still be at risk of theft if you don’t take the proper precautions.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Where possible, park your car in the garage at night.
- Lock your vehicle and roll up all windows whenever it is parked, even if it’s in the garage or at the pump while you’re paying inside the gas station.
- Never leave your car running unattended, even if it is for just a minute or if it is on your driveway.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight; and, do not leave any personal documents, like your insurance slip, ownership papers, or pieces of ID in the glove compartment. Take all items with you when you leave your vehicle.
Auto theft and your auto insurance
If your vehicle is on this list, not only is it more likely to be stolen, but it’s also likely that you’re paying more for your auto insurance. The probability of your vehicle being stolen plays a part in calculating how much you pay for your car insurance. Thankfully, there is a way to ensure that you’re getting the best price. Within a few minutes, InsuranceHotline.com can help you find the best available auto insurance rates out there for your vehicle. You may be surprised at how much you could save on your auto insurance, whether your car is on the list or not.