Are You a New Resident Driver in Ontario?

By Team
woman driving a car-min.jpg

Are you new to Ontario? If you've chosen to come to Ontario from another province or another country, there's some important information about driving and insurance that you'll need to know about.

For starters, if you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's license from another province, state or country, you can use that license for a maximum of 60 days in Ontario.  However, if you want to keep driving in Ontario past the 60-day limit, then provincial law states that you must obtain a valid Ontario driver's license from the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).

The Province of Ontario allows drivers with two or more years of driving experience (that they have earned within the last three years) to obtain a full-class G license. If you have this experience, you'll be granted full driving rights and privileges without having to take a knowledge or road test (however, a vision test may be required) if you originate from the following jurisdictions:

  • All Canadian provinces and territories
  • Are serving with the Canadian Forces in Europe
  • United States, Austria, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Japan, Korea and Switzerland

Drivers with less than two years of driving experience (that they have earned within the last three years) can acquire a full-class G2 license. If you don't have two years of driving experience, you can take the G2 road test, which, if you pass, will earn you all the driving privileges underlined in the G level of driving under the Graduated License system in Ontario (which involves the G1, G2 and G stages of obtaining a license).

All other residents applying for an Ontario license who originated from countries not mentioned above must present a valid foreign driver's license, pass a vision and written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules, pay all applicable fees and provide acceptable proof of identity in order to obtain a G license.

New residents who have less than 12 months of driving experience (earned in the past three years) can only apply for a G1 class license.  Once the driver has acquired 12 months of driving experience, they can apply for a G2 class license.

Alternatively, applicants who have more than 12 months of driving experience (but less than 24 months of experience within the past three years) can take the G1 road test without having to fulfill the mandatory 12-month G1 waiting period.

Newcomers declaring a minimum of 24 months of driving experience (earned within the past three years) have the option of attempting either the G1 or G2 exit road tests, where all mandatory wait times are waived. If the applicant attempts the G1 road test successfully, then he or she is automatically eligible to attempt the G2 road test.  Upon successfully passing the G2 exit road test, the MTO will issue a full class G license to the driver.

Once you obtain your Ontario driver's license, the law requires that you purchase car insurance if you own or drive an automobile. Insurance rates are usually more expensive for newly licensed drivers in Ontario, plus many companies only consider driving experience that was earned within Canada and the United Stated.

Given these facts and the significant differences in rates charged by different insurance companies to insure the same car and driver, it's important to shop around. allows you to instantly compare rates from over 30 competing insurers to get you the lowest rate available for your driving profile.