Eat, Drink & Be Wary

Does your home insurance policy cover you if your dinner guest gets a severe case of food poisoning and sues you for damages?

Your home insurance policy covers you for your "physical goods," but the personal liability portion also protects you at home (or anywhere in the world) for bodily injury you unintentionally inflict on others or for accidental damage you cause to someone else's property.

If your guest eats some chicken that you undercooked, gets a severe case of salmonella poisoning, and sues you for damages, your insurer will pay for your legal expenses for a resulting lawsuit, even if the suit is groundless. Note that the lawsuit has to be related to your personal liability coverage in your homeowners, tenants, or condo policy.

If you get sick from eating the chicken, OHIP or your provincial health plan covers you. And of course, you can't sue yourself!