Protect Your Home From Water Damage!
Enviornment Canada issued a warning for heavy rains and strong winds today, Friday June 1st. It's a great time to remind homeowners to protect their homes from water damage.
Here are some tips from Insurance Bureau of Canada on protecting your property:
- Move valuable items located in basements to higher ground
- Keep floor drains clear of obstructions
- Ensure gutters and downspouts are clear of debris
- Install a sump pump; if you already have one make sure it is in working order
- Install a sewer backup valve to prevent water from entering your home
- Ensure there is proper grading around your home and address any concerns (e.g. ground sloping towards the house)
- Use a rain barrel to catch water runoff
For more information on Flood Damage, check out this article: