Ask Anne Marie: I Have a G1 Licence. Does the Person Who Owns the Car I Drive, Have to Be the Person in the Car with Me?

Every week we’ll highlight a question sent to our resident insurance expert, Anne Marie Thomas. This week’s question comes from Adam who is asking if his father, who is fully licensed and owns the car Adam is driving, is the only person allowed to be with him in the car given that Adam currently holds a G1 licence.

Find the Best Car Insurance Rates

Compare car insurance quotes from 50+ providers in a single search. Start saving money today on the premiums you pay.

Adam asks:

“My father is a G licensed driver and has added me and the car I bought (the car is under his name now), to his insurance. I am a G1 driver. I understand that I must have a G driver in the vehicle with me at all times between 00:00 - 05:00. Does this G driver have to be my father or can it be anyone else that has a G licence that is not attached to my father insurance? If an accident happens and I am behind the wheel adhering to all G1 restrictions, will me and the G licence holder be protected?”

Drivers who hold a G1 licence face many restrictions, including when, where, and with whom they can drive, explains Anne Marie.

“Before answering your main question, I want to clear up a misconception you have about being able to drive between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m. As a G1 licensed driver you are not permitted to drive during this time, ever. It doesn’t matter who is in the car with you. Also, when driving outside of these hours, you must always have a G licensed driver in the car with you. These are just two of the many restrictions placed on G1 drivers. Others include maintaining a zero blood alcohol level, ensuring all passengers wear their seatbelt, and not driving on any 400-series highways or high-speed expressways. I encourage you to review the G1 requirements listed on the MTO website,” Anne Marie says.

“Now back to your original question. The fully licensed G driver does not have to be your father. It can be anyone who has held a G licence for a minimum of four years. This person, also, must meet the province’s blood alcohol restrictions. If the person is 21 or younger, they must have a zero blood alcohol level; if they’re older, it must be less than 0.05.

“If you’re in a collision, while adhering to all G1 licence restrictions, your father’s insurance company will pay the claim. If you’re at fault for the collision, the accident will go on his insurance history and will affect his premiums for up to six years.”

Ready to find your best rates for auto insurance? Compare car insurance quotes from 30+ providers in a single search at