Ask Anne-Marie: What is One-Way Insurance?

Every week we'll highlight the best question sent to our resident insurance expert, Anne Marie. Thomas. This week's question comes from a reader who is having trouble sifting through some insurance jargon.

Insurance can be complicated, and in this case the reader had come across a phrase that was particularly confusing.

Our reader, Daniel emailed us to ask:

"What is the difference between one and two way auto insurance? What does one way insurance cover?" 

Anne Marie says this is a common question that often comes up when consumers start exploring their insurance options.

"Hello, 'One-way' insurance covers you for liability for any damage that you cause to other people and/or their property in an auto accident. 'Two-way' insurance covers you for both damage that you do to other people and/or their property as well as any damage to your car as a result of an auto accident." 

To put it another way, one-way insurance can be thought of as the mandatory legal minimum for insurance in most provinces, while two-way insurance are policies that offer more comprehensive collision coverage.

To compare car insurance rates today visit