Take the InsuranceHotline.com mini quiz to find out. Score a point for every correct answer and check your score against the table at the bottom. These are representative of the types of questions asked on the test given to people applying for a G1 driver's or learner's permit.
1. When two vehicles reach an uncontrolled intersection at approximately the same time, which should be given the right-of-way?
A. Vehicle approaching from the left
B. Vehicle approaching from the right
C. Neither one
D. The one moving faster
2. Are car drivers responsible for their passengers buckling up?
A. Only if the passengers are in the front seat
B. Only if passengers are over eighteen years of age
C. Only if passengers are over 16 years of age
D. Only if passengers are under 16 years of age
E. None of the above
3. What is the driver of a motor vehicle not permitted to carry in a house or boat trailer?
B. Flammable material
4. Unless otherwise posted, what is the maximum speed limit allowed in cities, town, villages and built-up areas?
5. When on streets designed for two-way traffic, if you hear the siren of an emergency vehicle, what does the law require you to do?
A. Pull to the right as far as possible and stop
B. Signal the driver to pass
C. Continue at same speed
D. Speed up and get out of the way
6. When lights are required, drivers must use lower beam headlights when following another vehicle at what distance?
A. Within 30 m
B. Within 60 m
C. Within 120 m
D. This only applies when approaching another vehicle
7. By law, what is the minimum amount of automobile third party liability insurance required in Ontario?
8. When approaching a railway crossing at which an electrical or mechanical signal device is warning of the approach of a train, you must:
A. Increased speed and cross tracks as quickly as possible
B. Stop not less than 1.5 m from the nearest rail
C. Stop not less than 5 m from the nearest rail
D. Slow down and proceed with caution
9. If you are involved in an accident in which someone is injured or damages exceed $1,000, you must:
A. Report the accident to you insurance company only
B. Report the accident at once to the nearest Provincial or Municipal Police Officer
C. Report the accident within 48 hours to the nearest Provincial or Municipal Police Officer
D. Report the accident to the Ministry of Transportation
10. What document may a Police Officer require a motor vehicle owner to produce if pulled over?
A. Motor Vehicle Ownership
B. Liability Insurance Card
C. Valid Driver's License
D. All of the above
11. After receiving 9-demerit points, the Ministry of Transportation and Communication may suspend your license following an interview:
A. If the license is not required for business reasons
B. If a driver does not have at least 5 years driving experience
C. The Ministry is not permitted to suspend a license before 15 points level is reached
D. If a driver fails to give satisfactory reasons why their license should not be suspended
12. A flashing blue light mounted on a motor vehicle indicates:
A. Snow removal equipment
B. Motor vehicle carrying explosive
C. Police Emergency Vehicle
13. How soon after a licensed driver changes his/her name or address are they required to notify the Ministry of Transportation?
A. Within 6 days
B. Within 12 days
C. Within 28 days
D. Any time prior to renewal of license
14. When lights are required, drivers must use low beam headlights:
A. Within 150m of an oncoming vehicle
B. Within 300m of the approach of another vehicle
C. Within 1 km of the approach of another vehicle
D. This is safety practice, not a law
1-B 6-B 11-D
2-D 7-C 12-A
3-D 8-C 13-A
4-C 9-B 14-A
So, how did you do?
0-5 Correct: Ok, hand over the car keys NOW!
6-10 Correct: Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd drive with you.
11-13 Correct: Ok you can drive. Good job.
14 Correct: You should be a driving instructor!
Thanks for taking the quiz. We hope you had fun. Regardless of your score, visit InsuranceHotline.com and take the guesswork out of finding the lowest insurance rates. InsuranceHotline.com will help find the 3 lowest car insurance quotes for your driving profile from over 30 of the top insurance companies in Canada.
Go here to take a full practice G1 test
The Driver's Permit Study Guide (Ontario Edition)
Drivers should consult The Driver's Permit Study Guide for a more comprehensive list of questions and answers. Test questions shown here are for illustrative purposes only.