Our commitment to privacy: InsuranceHotline.com owned and operated by Kanetix Ltd., knows that protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information is important to consumers.
What is personal information? Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
Children: If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else, over the Internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why? We collect personal information for specific, limited purposes. Information is collected by fair and lawful means. Anyone can navigate this website without giving us personal information.
We do use personal information to provide insurance quotes that we think you would expect when you are shopping for insurance. We collect personal contact information (for example, name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: request an insurance quote or other service; sign up for a newsletter or other email services; are an insurance broker or agent and have an account with us; or provide it to us when you click the submit button on our website forms. This information is used to fulfill your request, provide targeted advertising and respond to your inquiries and feedback.
* If you are a broker or agent, we retain your login ID and passwords so that upon request by you and receipt of identification we may remind you of them.
* If you enter a contest or other promotion, we use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prize winners.
* We collect demographic information, as well as quote request history and a list of promotions offered to you (“history”), in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better products and services, and to determine eligibility for our products and services.
* We may also use demographic, personal contact and history information from time to time to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to goods or services you requested and which we provide. In addition, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and from selected sponsors or advertisers (“Marketing Offers”). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
* We keep notes and special instructions on file for insurance brokers and agents to help us fulfill your request and provide customer service. We may tape or monitor your telephone calls with our customer service representatives for quality assurance purposes.
* We may collect credit card information if you: are an insurance broker or agent. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order.
* If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you complain to any of our departments, we collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating and responding to you.
* If you are a service provider, we collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you. We may also collect financial information from service providers and from advertisers (for example, banking details and credit history) to assess credit risk, sales data to prepare royalty reports and other information to help us evaluate your services.
If you are concerned about cookies, it is possible to turn them off in your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our websites, particularly pages requiring registration.
We may place advertising or other links on our sites that originate from outside advertisers. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign a cookie. We do not control these cookies, nor are we responsible for any marketing or other use of your name by these advertisers.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data to analyze trends in the aggregate and administer the site.
We generally use your personal information for the purposes of: managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing accounts; maintaining business records for reasonable periods of time and generally managing and administering our business; and meeting regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements. Occasionally, we ask our customers to complete market research surveys. Survey results are aggregated and shared with our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates in a manner that does not disclose personal information. Other than as permitted or required by law, purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, which are not set out in this Privacy Code, will be set out at the time of collection. You will be given a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of any additional purposes no later than the time of collection.
To whom do we disclose personal information, and why? InsuranceHotline.com is not an insurance company or an insurance broker/agent. We work with insurance companies and insurance brokers/agents on this website and you will be disclosing information to them as well as to InsuranceHotline.com if you choose to receive an insurance quote from us. This will be clearly indicated, and it is part of the quoting process.
We may also disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
* In order to provide you with Marketing Offers (see above), we may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected sponsors and advertisers. If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
* We may transfer your personal information on a confidential basis to a third party (which party may be outside of Canada) acting on our behalf in order to perform processing and other specialized services, for example, prize fulfillment of our contests, collection of overdue accounts, product delivery, or credit card processing.
* Your personal information may be processed and stored outside of the province in which you reside and/or outside of Canada by us, an affiliate or a third party service provider for the purposes set out in this Privacy Code and, under the laws of these other jurisdictions, in certain circumstances foreign courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies may be entitled to access your personal information.
* We may disclose your personal information to our affiliates for internal audit, management, billing, administrative, marketing, promotion, or other business purposes.
* When we need to disclose your personal information to unrelated parties, for example, if we find you have violated any stated terms of service or conditions of purchase, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities and other legal reasons.
* We may disclose your personal information to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purposes of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship or fulfilling any records or other reporting requirements to such parties. We will require such parties to treat your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Code and to use and disclose it only for the purposes for which it was collected.
Consent and opt-out policy. Personal information collected by InsuranceHotline.com is used to provide an insurance quote or other service. Any information requested by the presentation of any form on our website will be clearly marked and no collection will take place unless you, not only fill in the form, but also actively consent and successfully submit that form’s content to us.
In general, we seek consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, we obtain your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information.
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by doing any of the following:
* Follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive.
* Call InsuranceHotline.com at 1-855-821-7312 and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
* Email InsuranceHotline.com at [email protected] and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
Please allow a reasonable time (approximately 2-4 weeks) for processing of your request.
Generally, by providing us with your personal information, we will assume that you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes identified or described in this Privacy Code, if applicable, or otherwise at the time of collection. We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Safeguards: We maintain personal information in a combination of paper and electronic files. We take technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information. For example, when you provide personal information to us, we work to help protect the security of your information by using industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
How to access and correct your personal information.
Upon request InsuranceHotline.com will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. You may access, correct, or request deletion of your personal information by calling InsuranceHotline.com at 1-855-821-7312 and we will make the changes upon receipt of appropriate evidence.
We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
We will give you access to the information we retain about you within a reasonable time, upon request, satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement. In some cases, we may not provide access to personal information in our possession or control. If we deny your request, we will advise you in writing of the reason for the refusal and you may challenge our decision.
How to challenge our privacy practices. We encourage you to contact us with any questions or concerns you have about your privacy or this Privacy Statement. If you have a question concerning our Privacy Statement, or if you have a complaint, please contact InsuranceHotline.com at:
360 Adelaide Street West, Suite 100
Email: [email protected]
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
This Privacy Statement was last updated on February 2, 2018.