Get Cheap Home Insurance in Ajax
Compare home insurance quotes from 50+ providers in a single search!
Jump straight to...
- How home insurance works in Ajax
- How to get the cheapest Ajax home insurance quote
- How much does average home insurance cost in Ajax?
- Cheapest home insurance in Ajax
- Factors that determine your Ajax home insurance premium
- Top home insurance companies in Ajax
- Frequently asked questions about Ajax home insurance
How home insurance works in Ajax
Sandwiched between Whitby and Pickering, east of Toronto, Ajax is located in Durham Region, and according to the 2021 Canadian census, has a population of 126,666. Given its relatively small size and low crime rates, it has cheaper home insurance than many of its neighbours, including several other Durham towns – but more on that later.
Unlike car insurance, home insurance is not mandated by law in Ontario. However, if you intend to mortgage your home, your lender will most likely ask you to buy home insurance. So, while it’s technically not mandatory, you’ll probably require it anyway.
Types of home insurance in Ajax
There are four standard types of home insurance available in Ajax – though their exact nomenclature differs from insurer to insurer. Here’s what they are:
- Basic: Also known as ‘named perils,’ this option protects your property and its contents only from the perils named in the policy. For instance, fire is listed as a peril, then you’re protected from it. And vice versa. It is the cheapest and most limited option available (if you don’t count the ‘no-frills’ option).
- Broad: This option provides protection for your property against most major perils – aside from the select few that are listed as exclusions. As for your possessions, they are protected from named perils only.
- Comprehensive: Sometimes referred to as ‘all perils,’ this one protects both your property and possessions from most major perils, other than the ones listed as exclusions. In this case, if fire is listed, for example, then you are not covered for it. This is the most expensive option available, and thus, the most comprehensive one, as the name suggests.
- No-frills: This option exists specifically for people whose homes don’t meet typical insurance standards. For example, if the home is old and has an outdated electrical system or structural issues, then it may be too risky to be covered by regular insurance. If you’re mortgaging such a home, then no-frills can be useful here. Don't stick with it though. Address the issues that are holding your home back and get proper coverage.
What home insurance covers in Ajax
Regardless of your coverage, home insurance should always cover the following:
- Property: This includes the home itself and other structures on your property, such as a shed, guest house or a barn. That said, don’t take it for granted that all your structures will be protected. Talk to your insurer to make sure nothing is excluded.
- Contents: This entails the personal possessions found on your property, such as furniture, electronics, clothing and so on. Everything you own should, in theory, should be covered. However, some of your more expensive items, like artwork or jewelry, may not be. Evaluate what you own and discuss with your insurer to make sure you’re fully covered.
- Liability: If someone gets accidentally injured on your property, or you unintentionally damage someone else’s property, then this will cover the potential medical bills, damage repairs and legal repercussions.
- Additional living expenses: If you become temporarily displaced from your home due to a covered peril, then this will cover the costs of living somewhere else, including accommodation and food. Talk to your insurer to find out what’s covered and for how long.
Commonly covered perils
Here are some of the most commonly covered perils by Ajax home insurers:
- Fire: If your home ends up catching fire for one reason or another, this should cover the costs of replacing, rebuilding or repairing your home as well as the cost of recovering your possessions. Check out these tips on how to avoid a home fire in the first place.
- Water damage: If your home or possessions get damaged by water – specifically water coming from indoor plumbing, heating, air conditioning, sprinkler or a similar indoor or outdoor appliance – then this will cover the damage to your home and possessions. Do note, however, that ‘water damage’ often excludes sewer back-up and overland flooding. So, confirm what is and isn’t covered with your insurance provider.
- Lightning: In the event lightning strikes your home and ends up damaging your appliances and electronics, this will pay for replacing or repairing the items in question.
- Theft and vandalism: This will protect you if your home gets either vandalized or robbed. Whatever is damaged will either be rebuilt or repaired and whatever is stolen replaced. Consider taking the following steps to protect your home from theft.
- Hail and wind: If wind or hail damages your home or possessions, this will cover the replacement and repair costs. Damage from flying debris and falling trees and branches is also included (as long as hail or wind is what’s responsible).
- Falling objects: Should your home or possessions end up damaged or lost due to a falling object, such as spacecraft or space debris, this will pay for replacement and/or repairs. This does, however, exclude objects moved by landslides or snowslides, so discuss this with your insurer just in case.
Add-ons to home insurance coverage in Ajax
Certain items won’t be included in your policy, even if you go for comprehensive coverage. If you’re worried that certain perils might affect you, consider adding them to your policy in the form of ‘add-ons’ or ‘endorsements.’ Here are some of the most common ones:
- Overland flooding: This will protect your home and possessions, if they are damaged by overflowing water from a nearby river, lake or stream as well as from thawing snow. Thawing snow and heavy rains have been known to cause floods in Ajax. So, if you live in an at-risk area, consider adding this as an endorsement (if available). In addition, check out these tips on how to protect your basement from flooding.
- Sewer back-up: If your sewage pipes, toilets, drains or shower get backed up, your home may get flooded. This endorsement will pay for the damage, should this occur. Sewer back-ups typically occur when too much rainwater or melted snow enters the sewer system at once. Sewage water can cause illnesses and even death, so consider getting this add-on, if possible.
- Earthquake: Should your property and possessions get damaged or lost due to an earthquake or perils like a landslide, snowslide or volcanic eruption, this will pay for the damage. The likelihood of a severe earthquake in Ajax is very low, so you probably won’t need this.
- Mass evacuations: If you’re forced to evacuate your property due to a flood, wildfire or another major peril, this will cover the cost of your accommodations and food.
- Valuable possessions: If you’ve carefully inventoried and evaluated all your possessions and discovered that some of them may be too expensive to be covered by regular insurance, such as artwork, collectibles and jewelry, then you may need this add-on. Talk to your insurer to learn more.
How to get the cheapest Ajax home insurance quote
Get multiple Ajax home insurance quotes in the time it takes to get just one.
1. Enter Postal Code
Start with your postal code!
2. Enter Your Information
Answer a few quick questions about yourself and your home.
3. Compare Your Quotes
Compare home insurance coverage and quotes from 50+ insurance companies.
4. Pick Your Policy
Pick the home insurance policy and company that's right for you.
We've got hundreds of 5 star reviews
2,017 reviews on TrustPilot. See some of the reviews here.
How much does average home insurance cost in Ajax?
The average home insurance cost in Ajax is estimated to be $1,068 per year, or about 89 per month, according to the RATESDOTCA Insuramap data. This compares favourably to Ajax’s neighbours, which have slightly higher rates. Whitby and Pickering, for instance, have estimated average annual premiums of $1,102 and $1,202, respectively, while Toronto’s estimated average is $1,467.
The premium discrepancy between Ajax, Pickering and Whitby is minor, so it's unlikely to be caused by any major peril. If you look at the Durham Regional Police’s crime map, you’ll see that the numbers of home-related crimes, such as break-ins and theft, in these cities are very similar and relatively low. That’s probably why their average premiums are similar as well. Toronto, on the other hand, has historically had higher crime rates, which explains why its average is quite a bit higher.
All four cities experience comparable weather patterns due to their proximity, but Toronto probably sees a greater number of claims, as it has more old buildings, which tend to cause issues when weather turns extreme or changes drastically over a short time. Either way, Ajax is in a good place for home insurance premiums.
Note that these estimated averages are all based on the profile of a 45-year-old homeowner, who has been insured for at least 10 years and lives in a 2,500 sq ft house with brick veneer, wood frame construction, natural gas heat, a roof that is 10 to 15 years old and has the maximum available coverage for water protection. This means that your own premium will depend heavily on a variety of factors, so take these averages with a grain of salt.
Cheapest home insurance in Ajax
According to the RATESDOTCA Insuramap data, areas with the cheapest home insurance have postal codes starting with L1T and L1Z, which have the average annual rate of $1,050 – slightly below the city average of $1,068. Durham’s police’s crime map indicates that the areas in question have lower instances of theft, break-ins and similar home-related crimes, as they are less densely populated and more suburban in nature.
The more expensive premiums are in neighbourhoods with postal codes that start with L1S. They are estimated to be around $1,104 per year. These neighbourhoods are nearer to the city core, which means they have denser population and higher crime rates.
Factors that determine your Ajax home insurance premium
Your Ajax home insurance premium will depend heavily on factors unique to you and your property. Here are some of the biggest ones:
- Rebuilding cost: How much would your home cost to rebuild if it were completely destroyed? Insurers take into account material costs, the square footage of the home, the number of floors and the home’s structure. The higher the cost, the higher the premium.
- Condition: Contrary to what some may think, older homes tend to be more expensive to insure. That’s because many of them are not in their best condition. They may have leaky pipes, outdated electrical wiring, structural issues and other maintenance problems. The condition of some homes is so poor sometimes that certain providers may not even be willing to insure them in the first place.
- Roof age: Roofs that have not been renovated in more than 20 years tend to have issues like poor insulation and leaks, both of which can cause damage to the rest of your home over time. As a result, insurers may cover only 25% of the roof’s replacement cost if something happens to it – on top of charging more expensive premiums. So, make sure your roof is in good shape.
- Renovations: Making changes to your home that might increase its rebuilding costs will make your premiums more expensive – provided you notify your insurer about those changes. If you don’t, then your payout might be lower than expected, should something happen to your home.
- Location: Some perils affect certain areas more than others, including crime, severe weather, floods and earthquakes. The more at risk the area is, the more expensive the premiums will be. Fortunately, Ajax is a relatively safe place. Yes, like much of Ontario, it’s affected by severe winter weather, but it's usually milder here, thanks to the Great Lakes. The risks of floods and earthquakes are low as well. This leaves only theft and vandalism, which do happen in Ajax, but not often enough to warrant expensive premiums.
- Security: Smoke and burglar alarms can help lower the risk of severe fires and break-ins, so consider getting the best ones you can find. They may not only lower your premiums, but they save your life and property.
- Closeness to fire halls and hydrants: The farther your home is from a fire hall or hydrant, the more likely it is to burn down completely, should it catch fire. This issue mainly afflicts homes in rural areas, which are sparsely populated. Ajax is a relatively densely populated place, so this issue should be non-existent here.
- Claims history: One of the biggest culprits behind higher premiums is the person’s claims history. The more claims you make – regardless of the problem – the more expensive your premiums will be. Home insurance is meant to cover major events only, such as fires, floods and earthquakes. A leaky pipe that causes minor damage to your home, for instance, may not be significant enough to require insurance. So, weigh your decisions carefully.
- Credit score: It turns out that people with good credit scores also tend to file fewer insurance claims. So, you may want to agree to a soft credit check (one that doesn’t affect the score) to lower your premiums. There is no downside to this, because in Ontario, insurers can’t use your credit score to increase your premiums.
- Mortgage: By paying off a good portion of your mortgage, you can secure a premium discount ranging from 10% to 20%. Ask your insurer about it, if you think you qualify.
Top home insurance companies in Ajax
|Type of Company
|Allstate Insurance: Ajax Agency
|18D-15 Westney Rd N Unit, Ajax, ON L1T 1P5
|Best Buy Insurance Brokers Inc.
|208-1 Rossland Rd W, Ajax, ON L1Z 1Z2
|Billyard Insurance Group - Ajax
|104-15 Harwood Ave S, Ajax, ON L1S 2B9
|First Choice Insurance Brokers Ltd.
|203-50 Commercial Ave, Ajax, ON L1S 2H5
|100-360 Adelaide St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1R7
|8-59 Westney Rd S, Ajax, ON L1S 2C9
|401-1910 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4S 3B2
|Pine Ridge Insurance Brokers Ltd.
|4-676 Monarch Ave, Ajax, ON L1S 4S2
|100-360 Adelaide St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1R7
|22-300 Lincoln St, Welland, ON L3B 4N4
Frequently asked questions about Ajax home insurance
Find answers to all your Ajax home insurance questions here.
How can I find the cheapest home insurance quote in Ajax?
The easiest way to find cheap home insurance in Ajax is by shopping around via websites like InsuranceHotline.com. All you need to do is enter a few details about yourself, and the online portal will pull quotes for you from over 50 insurance providers in your area. It’s free and it only takes a few minutes. Alternatively, you can contact an insurance broker, which might take a little longer, but yield similar results.
If you’re still not satisfied with the quotes you get, there are several other things you can do:
- Bundle your car insurance with your home insurance under the same provider.
- Increase your deductible – at the cost of the payout you will receive when something happens to your property.
- Submit to a soft credit score check, which can reduce your premiums if the score is high enough. Doing so won’t backfire, as Ontario prohibits premium increases based on credit scores.
- Eliminate certain risks to your home by maintaining it properly. Install burglar and fire alarms, repair your roof and ensure your pipes and electrical system are all in good order.
What kind of risks do Ajax homeowners face?
Ajax is a relatively safe place to own a home. Major disasters like tornadoes, overland floods and earthquakes rarely affect it in a big way, and for the most part, homes are safe from theft and vandalism (though, of course, no home is completely protected from such things). Some of the biggest risks in Ajax include:
- Windstorms: Though Ajax doesn’t get too many windstorms due to its proximity to Lake Ontario, they do happen. In 2022, for instance, a derecho in Ontario and Quebec caused $1 billion in damages, affecting the Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa, Trois-Rivières, Quebec City and several other areas in those provinces.
- Freezing temperatures: Winter temperatures in Ajax can sometimes be as low as -30°C. This increases the potential for burst and frozen pipes.
- Flooding: Thawing snow in spring is known to cause floods in Ajax and other parts of the Greater Toronto Area. The drainage system in Ajax is solid enough to prevent this from happening in most cases, but it’s not always effective. This is especially a problem if you have a basement.
Do I need to update my Ajax home insurance provider if I am running a short-term rental on Airbnb or Vrbo?
Yes. Putting up your home for rent changes the risk, which may require you to have a different kind of coverage. If you want your home to be fully protected or avoid getting your claims denied altogether, you should notify your insurer ahead of time.
How can I file a home insurance claim in Ajax?
Should your home and/or possessions get damaged or lost due to an unforeseen event, notify your home insurance provider right away. They’ll be happy to guide you through the process of filing your claim.
Before you contact anyone, make sure you have inventoried all your damaged or lost items and gathered details on what happened to them. If they were simply stolen, then just list the stolen items. Consider including photos or even videos to fully convey the damage or loss. Finally, don’t get rid of the damaged goods before you notify the insurer.
After all of this is done, the insurer will assign a claims advisor to your case, who will contact you shortly.